First a small slice of a poem by Mary Oliver. Let’s start things out right…
I don’t know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn’t everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
In a few days I won’t be a fortysevenyearold anymore. Inspired by birthday lists I’ve seen all across the cyber galaxy I set forth to cobble together one of my very own. A plan of what to do with my one “wild and precious life” before I turn 49 next year.
1. make lemon curd marmalade with lemons from my tree
2. go see a live performance at the hudson
3. go on a stairway walk in silverlake
4. go for a hike at point lobos
5. take 100 photos at La Foire Nationale à la Brocante et aux Jambons
6. roadtrip all the way up hwy 395
7. make envelopes lined with wallpaper
8. teach another online class
9. plant some fruit trees in the front yard
10. make a blurb book of istanbul
11. finish the blurb book of the amalfi coast
12. find the lost coast in northern california
13. walk through a redwood forest
14. drink a cup of hot chocolate at Angelina’s
15. take a spanish class
16. paint a room pale grey
17. see death valley
18. go to a ghost town
19. bake a blueberry pie
20. explore an unexplored area of downtown on foot
21. walk up the hill in back in the middle of the night in my pajamas
22. blow bubbles out the car window
23. take a bus somewhere
24. go for a walk in the rain
25. put up 2 bulletin boards in art room
26. clean out the garage. again.
27. go camping
28. travel to a new city in mexico
29. pick strawberries
30. get lost
31. copy a poem in my journal during a faculty meeting
32. walk on the beach paths in pacific grove cambria under starlight
33. meet a stranger for dinner in paris
34. walk aimlessly around the santa barbara botanic garden
35. map out locations of leo & pipo’s pasteups in paris. photograph.
36. find street art in paris. photograph
37. teach myself some manual camera settings
38. make a wild dance mix cd. dance to it.
39. spend a few nights in ojai
40. read a book by lantern light inside my tent bedroom during a wind storm
41. roast marshmallows on the back patio
42. make at least 10 collage panels
43. move more eat less
44. plant some herbs
45. go to san francisco with lianne
46. stop at a fruit stand
47. build a campfire
48. eat a chicago hot dog. in chicago.