Step 4 I punched 7 holes in the signatures. No measuring here, I just eyeball the middle, punch 1 hole there, and evenly space the others on either side of that middle hole. I use one of my pages from the 1st signature I pierced as a pattern for the other signatures – just lay it over the top.
I’ve learned a few very useful things over the last couple of weeks in my self-guided bookbinding course. Using a pencil to mark A (top) and B (bottom) is extremely helpful. It’s all too easy to get things mixed up and since I don’t measure, the top really needs to stay on top. Otherwise the holes won’t line up.
About the not measuring…you can take the girl out of the ghetto, but you can’t take the ghetto out of the bookbinder. I am highly resistant to too much precision. Highly.
Step 5 I sewed the signatures together using a single-needle coptic or chain stitch. Sewing on the edge of a desk or table really helps me not to wrestle with the signatures.
Also, seems to make things easier if I enter and exit the signature with the needle in one motion. Saves time and reduces tangling.
Step 6 I glued the remaining 2 ledger pages at the front and back covers to the red-marbled endpapers. I left those 2 pages (4 total) intact when I cut out the text block because they had been reinforced with linen tapes. I wanted a strong foundation to glue to my 140 lb watercolor text block.
My glue of choice is almost always a generous portion of Mod Podge.
Step 7 After my endpaper sandwich was completely dry, I glued the new text block onto the endpapers.
While I did this, I pulled the cover and endpaper onto the text block and centered as closely as possible. My text block was about a centimeter too big, but it doesn’t stick out of the covers so I won’t trim it down. Next time I make a book like this I’ll make the inside text block slightly smaller than the original pages.
My new Fabriano text block nestled between the old Oddfellow’s ledger covers!
Visual Journal #11 is born! ¡aquí estávoila!
I prefer an unadorned simple cover on my visual journals so this one will remain as is. I may glue a small No. 11 to the front. I’m really glad I figured out a way to preserve this original raised cord spine. I think it’s beautiful, but just tattered enough to be interesting.
Here’s Visual Journal #10 for comparison. #11 is taller and more narrow. The dimensions are 14 by 8.5 and there’s plenty of room for expansion. I’ll enjoy working on a new size of page.
There’s the new sheriff in town. Sitting on top of Journals 8, 9, and 10.
In the next week or so I’m going to make Visual Journal #12. But this time with exposed stitching along the spine. I’m thinking of the binding where I sewed the cords over the signatures. THIS one. That handsome baby is my favorite. Maybe I can find some thick leather cords!
By the way I purchased my bookbinding needles (love), waxed linen, and a Japanese screw punch from Volcano Arts. Excellent, speedy service!