I finished the little journal! It’s a disaster! But it’s my disaster. My beautiful little disaster. See, because I can’t help but love 99% of everything I make – disaster or not. Which is why I’ve always lived by this creed of Winston Churchill:
Success is going from one failure to the next without loss of enthusiasm!
So you’ll be wanting to see the errors of my ways. Here. I will show them to you.
Not so apparent in this shot of the book open. Perhaps a closer look is necessary.
No closer. Wait. A comparison shot is best. I left out a very important step while making Little. A step I thought I could eliminate. See my writing journal below Little? Notice how all of the signatures are so marvelously lined up. (I bought that journal on Etsy).
This exposed tape binding needs a coptic/chain/kettle stitch about 1/4 of an inch from the top and bottom to hold the signatures together. The stitch I eliminated. Without it the signatures are wonky wiggly. Screwy. BUT…they were perfectly lined up and looked good until… I glued the first page of the signatures to the covers and each first signature page to each other because I didn’t want the gaps between each signature. Insert big hearty laugh here.
Little is no longer wiggly. He is a very sturdy fellow. Tightly wrapped, unlike his creator. He smells of glue. I LOVE that smell. And he opens perfectly flat.
Next time I make this type of book I will throw a bit less caution to the wind. I will remove my blindfold before beginning. I will be less hostile towards following directions. I know what I did wrong and I know how to fix it. In the meanwhile I am dying to dive headfirst into Day 1 of filling the new visual journal! First though let me wipe the cream from my muzzle and finish off these strawberries.